The Winnipeg River was used as a primary water route for early explorers.
Coins dating back to the 1800's, imported vine for rope and flint rock have been found on the property. It would be safe to say that Eagle Nest has shared its natural beauty with occupants for the past 5000 years or more. Arrowheads and pottery have been found in the surrounding area dating as far back as 3000 BC.
In 1950, local residents (Homer Wilcott and Ray Wilson) built parts of the primitive main lodge you see today. Its location is inside the foundation of a much larger building, that was used during the North West Trading post 200 to 300 years ago. A team of horses were brought in over ice to assist in moving logs and gravel used for construction. The site was chosen for its ideal panoramic location and history of past inhabitants.
Metro Pedruchny maintained a trapline on the Winnipeg River since the early 1930's and had an interest in becoming a permanent resident of the Pointe du Bois area. Application was put in to the Province to build a resort where Eagle Nest Landing (our drive to resort) is now. The proposal was rejected and as an alternative, in 1965, Metro and Ruth Pedruchny were able to purchase Eagle Nest Lodge. Accommodations and facilities were minimal, with a maximum capacity of 8. Operating as a family business, along with upgrading and making small improvements annually, proved to be a successful formula for the health and longevity of Eagle Nest today.
Fred & Jo-Anne Pedruchny bought Eagle Nest Lodge in 1975 and continued to make affordable changes. Application was again put in for the property Pedruchny seniors had applied for in 1965 to build our boat-in base, "Eagle Nest Landing". After 2 years of negotiations, a lease was granted in 1978 and construction began immediately.
Eagle Nest Landing is presently a do it yourself, drive to location with 3 cabins and 12 seasonal sites. Boat rentals are available and its location provides an excellent shore base to Eagle Nest Lodge.